Moving to the Cloud
When you enroll for courses through Coursera you get to choose for a paid plan or for a free plan .
- Free plan: No certicification and/or audit only. You will have access to all course materials except graded items.
- Paid plan: Commit to earning a Certificate—it's a trusted, shareable way to showcase your new skills.
About this course: The cloud is taking business by storm. In fact, due to the extraordinary growth of the cloud, it has been described as a tornado, not a fluffy white floating object! Commercial research analysts consider cloud as one of the most significant trends with a potential to change the whole global IT industry. Governments, including those in the US, Britain, and Australia, have cloud-first policies now in place which mandate cloud over non-cloud services in ICT procurement. But CIOs and other senior executives, while it's on the majority of their agendas, aren't sure what it really means for their organisations - how to leverage the benefits, control the commercials, manage …
Frequently asked questions
When you enroll for courses through Coursera you get to choose for a paid plan or for a free plan .
About this course: The cloud is taking business by storm. In fact, due to the extraordinary growth of the cloud, it has been described as a tornado, not a fluffy white floating object! Commercial research analysts consider cloud as one of the most significant trends with a potential to change the whole global IT industry. Governments, including those in the US, Britain, and Australia, have cloud-first policies now in place which mandate cloud over non-cloud services in ICT procurement. But CIOs and other senior executives, while it's on the majority of their agendas, aren't sure what it really means for their organisations - how to leverage the benefits, control the commercials, manage the business risk, and adapt their organisations. While it is important to set requirements, negotiate commercials (terms, service level agreements, and pricing), and sign the contract - it is also critical that we develop a clear plan for ‘Moving to the Cloud’ which realigns our business architecture, organization and most importantly our people. This course provides the answers that management must know to be successful and realise the benefits: • Where should I go cloud? • What are the commercials? • Where is my leverage? • How do I realign my business practices and architecture? • How do I gear up my people and structure my organisation? View the MOOC promotional video here: http://tinyurl.com/hvtz2ph
Who is this class for: The course is targeted at the middle to senior management level and addresses the business issues of legacy organizations moving to the cloud. It will also be relevant for anyone with an interest in learning what an organization moving to the cloud needs to be aware of. You don't have to be of any particular personal or professional background to benefit from this course explicitly, but having some basic undergraduate study experience will be helpful to your learning (particularly if in a business, IT or a commerce related field).Created by: The University of Melbourne
Taught by: Rod Dilnutt, DrComputing and Information Systems, University of Melbourne
Taught by: Sara Cullen, DrComputing and Information Systems, University of Melbourne
Каждый курс — это интерактивный учебник, который содержит видеоматериалы, тесты и проекты.Помощь сокурсников
Общайтесь с тысячами других учащихся: обсуждайте идеи, материалы курса и помогайте друг другу осваивать новые понятия.Сертификаты
Получите документы о прохождении курсов и поделитесь своим успехом с друзьями, коллегами и работодателями.The University of Melbourne The University of Melbourne is an internationally recognised research intensive University with a strong tradition of excellence in teaching, research, and community engagement. Established in 1853, it is Australia's second oldest University.
Module 1: Introduction
Thank you for joining us in Moving to the Cloud! We begin your first week of this course by bringing you up to speed on all things cloud. This includes the cycles of disruptive technology cycle, the history of cloud and the terminology that is currently in use. We will also introduce some fundamental cloud computing concepts including what cloud computing is and how it works. We are delighted that Professor Leslie Willcocks from the London School of Economics and Vince Kellen form the University of California (San Diego) will be joining us for guest lectures. We also have a debate on whether the cloud is the end of traditional IT outsourcing. Make sure to check out what your peers have said!
10 videos, 3 readings expand
- Video: Welcome from Rod and Sara
- Video: Welcome from the University of Melbourne
- Вопрос для обсуждения: What do you hope to learn? Why are you taking this course?
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Course Overview
- Video: Week 1 Overview: Cloud Computing
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Start of Course Survey
- Video: Disruptive Technology: Where Does the Cloud Fit?
- Video: Student Debate: Is the Cloud the end of Traditional IT Outsourcing?
- Video: History of the Cloud
- Video: History of the Cloud with Leslie Willcocks
- Video: Cloudspeak
- Video: How Cloud Works with Shane Hercules
- Video: Demystifying the Cloud with Vince Kellen
- Вопрос для обсуждения: Will cloud be the end of ITO?
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Outsourcing to the Cloud
Graded: 1. Introduction to the Cloud
Module 2: Cloud Adoption
Welcome to the second week of Moving to the Cloud! In this module we will look at cloud adoption. First, from a macro perspective and then from the perspective of individual cases and experts. Our special guest interviewees are from Accenture, the Cloud Standards Customer Council, the Australian Taxation Office, and more. We will examine cloud computing in practice and common challenges for cloud buyers and sellers alike. We’ll also take a look at cloud first policies and some of the crucial first steps towards conducting your own due diligence when embarking on cloud computing projects.
13 videos, 1 reading expand
- Video: Week 2 Overview: Cloud Adoption
- Video: Cloud Adoption
- Video: Cloud Adoption Trends with Vince Kellen
- Video: Vendor and Client Challenges with Russel Ives
- Вопрос для обсуждения: Has the cloud jumped the chasm?
- Video: Governments Adopting Cloud
- Video: Cloud First Policies with Mike Baker
- Video: Student Debate: Should Federal Governments Move to the Cloud?
- Video: Using the Cloud - A Beginning
- Video: Adopting Cloud at the University of Kentucky with Vince Kellen
- Video: Adopting Cloud at the Australian Taxation Office with Mike Baker
- Video: Insights on Cloud Challenges with Claude Baudoin
- Video: Insights on Cloud Adoption with Rodrigo and Amir
- Вопрос для обсуждения: Factors to consider when moving to the cloud
- Video: Forming Requirements
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Tricks and Traps of the Cloud
Graded: 2. Cloud Adoption
Module 3: Cloud Commercials
Welcome to week three! At the end of this week you will be half way through the course. In this module we will become familiar with the commercial aspects of cloud. We will explore cloud contracts and the specific clauses to watch out for. Then we’ll take a look at some common KPIs in a cloud SLA and what they mean for the business. Some of our previous guest lecturers will also return to share their insights and experience. Lastly, we will investigate the complexity of pricing in cloud configurations and the different vendor charging models.
11 videos, 1 reading expand
- Video: Week 3 Overview: Cloud Commercials, Contracts, SLAs and KPIs
- Video: Introducing Cloud Commercials
- Video: The Cloud Contract
- Video: SLAs and KPIs
- Video: Cloud Contracts and SLAs with Rodrigo and Amir
- Вопрос для обсуждения: Will a cloud contract and SLA protect you?
- Video: Cloud Pricing
- Video: Cloud Pricing with Mike Baker
- Video: Cloud Pricing with Claude Boudoin
- Video: Cloud Pricing with Rodrigo and Amir
- Вопрос для обсуждения: Pricing cloud services
- Video: Cloud Issues with Claude Boudain
- Video: On Demand with Rodrigo and Amir
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: IAAS Contracts
Graded: 3. Commercials
Module 4: Getting Ready to Move
Welcome to the fourth week! This module is all about getting ready to move the cloud! There is more to moving to the cloud than signing the contract. We need to prepare our organization and muster our people. First, we will introduce: a model for managing the process of change and a capability maturity framework for assessing the “as-is” and “to-be” organizational states. Second, we shall explore the different areas of strategy, architecture, processes, structure, governance and relationships - organizational areas that need to be considered when taking advantage of the cloud. We will also have a couple of student presentations on the differences between cloud and traditional on premise, and generic principals for the adoption of cloud computing technology.
11 videos, 1 reading expand
- Video: Week 4 Overview: Getting Ready to Move
- Вопрос для обсуждения: Which of the organization elements are the most important to consider first?
- Video: Getting Ready to Move
- Video: Managing Change
- Video: Capability Maturity
- Вопрос для обсуждения: What is your experience with capability frameworks?
- Video: Cloud and Traditional On-Premise Computing
- Video: Business Architecture
- Video: Generic Principles for Cloud Adoption: Student Presentation
- Video: Processes
- Video: Organization
- Video: Governance
- Video: Impact on Roles
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Organisational Change Management - Chapters 1, 2, 3, 5, 7 & 8
Graded: 4. Getting Ready to Move
Module 5: On the Move
Welcome to the fifth week! This module explores the importance of planning, involving stakeholders and identifying then managing relationships within organizations. We learn to develop a change agenda, identify critical success factors, and discuss the management practices required to navigate challenges that may surface. We also introduce a proven methodology for undertaking change projects and close with three student presentations that provide a uniquely different context to what is covered in the lectures.
10 videos, 1 reading expand
- Video: Week 5 Overview: Planning the Transition
- Video: Planning the Transition
- Video: The Actors
- Video: Relationships
- Video: Emotional Intelligence
- Video: Managing Change when Moving to the Cloud - Individual Impact: Student Presentation
- Video: Developing the Change Agenda
- Video: Change Management Practices to Address Cloud Challenges: Student Presentation
- Video: The Process of Change
- Video: Change Management in IT Outsourcing: Student Presentation
- Вопрос для обсуждения: Describe your involvement in a change project
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Organisational Change Management: Chapters 4, 9, 11, 14 & 15
Graded: 5. Planning the Transition
Module 6: Arriving in the Cloud
Welcome to the final week! We have had such an exciting journey learning about all things cloud! We have explored the adoption and commercial issues and redesigned the way we think about the challenges from different points of view. In this module we learn the journey is far from over and we consider how we can consolidate new ways of working into a cloud culture. We explore the importance of ongoing communication, building awareness, as well as barriers, enablers, tips and traps for making sure the cloud journey becomes fully institutionalized. Additionally, we have two student presentations and finish with an interview with Anthony Wong, President of the Australian Computer Society.
13 videos, 3 readings expand
- Video: Week 6 Overview: Arriving in the Cloud
- Video: Consolidation
- Video: Creating the Cloud Culture with Leslie Wilcocks
- Вопрос для обсуждения: How would you create a 'cloud culture'?
- Video: Building Awareness
- Video: The Importance of Communication
- Video: Preparing the Individual
- Video: Information Security Needs and Controls: Student Presentation
- Video: Barriers and Enablers
- Video: Organisational Challenges When Adopting E-learning and MOOCs: Student Presentation
- Video: Now We Have Moved
- Video: The Cloud Standards Council with Claude Baudoin
- Video: The Future of Cloud: Predictions by our Expert Panel
- Video: Employee of the Future with Anthony Wong
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Organisational Change Management: Chapters 9, 10, 14 & 15
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: Academic Integrity
- Материал для самостоятельного изучения: End of Course Survey
Graded: 6. Consolidation
Graded: Cloud Case Study: UniMelb-MedTech